I know you are supposed to be in trouble, but...

Jenna is getting to that age where we need to start implementing a discipline method other than redirection.  Redirection is still the best for her age, but she is getting to a place where she can connect the dots between her behavior and consequences.  A great example of this is her use of the phrase "No-no" when she starts doing something she knows she is not supposed to do.  For example, she has been playing in the dog's water dish over the past week.  As she goes to put her hands in it, she will say "no-no".  And given her effective and appropriate use of the no-no phrase during the day - i.e., no-no night-night - we know she knows what it means. 

Which brings me to the event that prompted the title of this post.  Two days ago, Jenna was again getting into the water dish, after being redirected and told no, so I decided that was the day we'll start working on a time out technique.  I know they count down at daycare, so I determined this would be my technique.  Count to 3 and then put in time out.  So...I commenced to counting down...1...2...and then Jenna looked up, with the most excited and joyful look and said....THREE!!!

Ugh...really?  Why does she have to be so darned cute!?!  In that moment, holding my resolve was next to impossible, as she was the cutest, smartest, sweetest thing I had ever seen.  And I was so proud of the fact that she counted!  What to do?  The counting itself was a redirection that was working, so I opted to positively reinforce the counting and told her what a good job she did..."Yes, three!  What a good job you did counting!  Let Mommy give you a hug!" 

Of course, two minutes later we were back in the water dish, and I had a chance to count to three and put her in timeout while I counted 20 to myself.  I don't know if she knew what it meant, but she left the bowl alone after that, and I still get all warm and fuzzy with pride and adoration when I see her in my minds eye with that look on her face, saying "THREE!" ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Word That Can Change Everything

Hello to all!

On becoming...