Hello to all!

Hello to all of you, our friends and family! We are very excited about this new journey in our lives, and have created this blog as a way to share our ongoing news about Baby Cole with each of you!

As you may already know, JP and I are expecting our first child, due on February 24, 2011. This was a surprise, but is very much a blessing! As of now, I am midway through my 12th week of pregnancy, and we were happy to get started in the second trimester.

Since we are in the second trimester, I will take a moment to catch everyone up on what we've missed so far...

Our first appointment was for the 8 week check up (which was an excruciating wait, given that we had found out we were pregnant over 4 weeks before!).  That was on 7/20, and we were able to hear the heartbeat (at a healthy 169 bpm) and see the heartbeat "flicker" - which was an amazing and awe-inspiring experience for us.  Here is the first ultrasound:

I know, I know! A little peanut, a blob, a parasite (lol - a little inside joke for some of us!), but it was our first look at our first baby, and it was the first connection we had.  There is something absolutely stunning about that first moment, when it all becomes real.

On a side note, my first OB/GYN, who I had for 20 years (yes, 20 years!!) retired almost two years ago, leaving me searching for someone new at a time in my life when I was ready to FINALLY start talking about MAYBE having kids (she celebrated our wedding with us right after her retirement and will always be a person near and dear to my heart).  I found a new doctor, only to realize after finding out that I was pregnant that she only does GYN services.  So, I started researching OB's in town, and I developed a list (just for you Linda! Ha!).  One name jumped out at me, Janice Keeton, so I called and made an appointment.  I don't believe in coincidences, and the universe has reinforced over and over to JP and I that this is the doctor we are meant to be with.  It started before the first appointment, but they included him in every little aspect of the first appointment, explaining to both he and I what to expect.  I don't know if it made him feel better, but it made me feel better!

I was thinking...back on track...but the side note leads perfectly into where I was going next, which is the second appointment.  We had our second appointment on 8/13 (Friday the 13th!), and it is amazing how much has changed in just four short weeks!  Here is the ultrasound from this appointment:

We were blown away!  You can see the profile of the baby's whole face - eyes, nose and mouth - and it's arms and legs!  It appears to be laying with one arm by it's head - just like JP sleeps.  The heartbeat has slowed a little - to about 154 bpm.  Honestly, the ultrasound tech wasn't in a talkative mood (that's a nice way of saying it, isn't it?), so we didn't ask a lot of questions, but we were reassured that everything is in the normal range and there are no red flags.

Because I will be 35 when I deliver, we decided to do some preliminary genetic testing, and they took a LOT of blood from me and explained how they are sending all of them to various labs for various tests. So, we will hopefully know more about the outcome of those tests when we meet with the doctor next time.

Speaking of next time...because of my history of LEEP and the risk of a thinning cervix, our doctor has scheduled us for an 8, 12, 16 and 20 week ultrasound, to measure my cervix during the fetal development.  As a result, we have the opportunity to see the baby every 4 weeks up to the 5th month, which is exciting.  It also makes me feel more comfortable, because I am so afraid I will have an incompetent cervix.

Our next appointment is scheduled for 9/10 and the 20 week appointment is scheduled for 10/4.  I don't know how often I will make it here for updates, but I will definitely post after those appointments.

One final note - as for me, I am doing okay.  I am queasy a lot, but have avoided the sickness that is stereotypically a part of pregnancy (thus far anyway).  I have a LOT of food and smell aversions, and what I can stomach can literally change from meal to meal.  Soap and hygiene products do me in, also.  Poor JP - he says I have him smelling like he's cleaning up at an old folks home because I go through the soap aisle smelling stuff until I come across something that doesn't make me ill, and that is what I bring home!  Hopefully that will pass soon!  Overall, baby and I are good, and JP is, too!

Thank you for all of the prayers, love and support!  We love each and every one of you!

Julie & JP

Comments

  1. YAY!! SO super excited for you both and for this blog - much kudos for this. Definitely want to know EVERYthing, because we love you and care about you and Baby Cole SO so much! I find the soap thing hilarious and I did not experience any "morning" sickness with my first two boys, but lots with Lathen (so he was "suppose" to be a girl, right...)Eh, not so much. ;) so you just never know, until ya know, ya know? Who wants to start the Gender Poll....and then Delivery Date...do I hear a Male on 2/28?... LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing ALL of this!! I can't wait to watch you and the baby grow and see your life change in so many ways you never thought possible!! You will be an amazing MOTHER and JP must be great or wouldn't have picked him, so I know this little one will be doubley blessed!! My guess is GIRL! Which would serve you right, MISSY! Oh and name her Echo...I hear that is an awesome name!!
    LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russell and Michele StampsAugust 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM

    Hey Guys!!!
    YAY, I am super excited and i love this blog you set-up Julie, very good idea and very informative. I am super excited about ya'lls baby news, i know you BOTH will be wonderful parents. I can't believe how big "she" has gotton :), i am leaning towards it being a little girl.. But regardless Russell and I are so happy for you both and are praying for a safe and healthy prgnancy. We love you guys so much and we are so excited to meet the little peanut soon:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! Julie & JP, I'm literally in tears reading this blog. I'm so happy for you guys and look forward to seeing what a wonderful mother and father you guys will become real soon. Becoming a parent is the best thing that has ever happened to me and is a true blessing from GOD. Just like everything else in life you will be tested (even when they are babies) but believe me when I say that it is all worth every minute of it. Love you guys and look forward to seeing you soon...maybe dinner together sometime (we will eat whatever is not making you feel sick at that moment). xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already love baby Cole. I am so happy for you and JP! So cool we have the same doc and I just adore her! She cares deeply about her patients and practices medicine for all the right reasons. It is amazing how fast a baby grows... wow! Sounds like you are resting and taking care of yourself. Hope to see you soon!

    Love,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi girlie! I am so very happy for you guys! Thanks for sending me the link to the blog! I am looking forward to being able to keep up with everything and see your progress!
    I totally miss you and think of you often!
    You guys will be in my thoughts...and I can't wait to meet Baby Cole!
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do I begin? This is the best thing to happen to me in over a year! I cannot wait to meet my niece/nephew & spoil them terribly. Get ready for loud, irritating toys that will make you sleep with one eye open ;) Seriously, I'm so happy for both of you & look forward to following this wonderful journey you're on.
    I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
    Love,
    Aunt Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie,

    Thanks for sharing this experience with all of us. I am truly happy for you both and as you know, a child simply brings joy (and heartache...:), but mostly they help motivate you to great heights. They are our beautiful gifts from God and I know you two will make great parents. Look forward to meeting JP jr...:).
    Love you girl, Tia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe Julie, this is great! I love babies! I am glad you are doing well, that the baby is growing as expected and that the tests came back good. I will keep you all in my prayers. Thanks for sharing. I hope they do a 3D or 4D ultrasound so that you can see the baby's features clearly. You can even see the eyebrows and hair (o: God bless you all.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! What a lucky baby to have you two for parents!!! Smiles and hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting!!! A baby girl. We are grinning from ear to ear for you here in Texas. Congratulations! With love, Jeremy and Jessi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Word That Can Change Everything

On becoming...