On becoming...
We are, in each moment, as we are meant to be.
Happiness. Joy. Trials. Tribulation. They are the experiences of life that forge who we are, shape our gifts. We are the ones who choose whether they chip away the best or the worst of us.
In January 2016 I attended a Daring Way weekend with a group of amazing ladies. We reflected on the parts of us that need to be buried, put to rest. We reflected on those things that need to be brought up, refined in the light. We considered the duality of these, how they are necessary opposites for our growth and development, and how, in the end, they cannot exist in the same time and space. As we wrapped up the weekend, we meditated on these to this song: I am Light - India Arie
I felt lighter walking out of that space. A new beginning, a shedding of a skin that no longer served me. That is how this walk works, the peeling away of that which hinders our growth, that blocks us from becoming that which serves the greater good.
This shedding is both freeing and painful. Joyful and steeped in grief. Hope for the future juxtaposed with sheer fear of the unknown.
I embarked on the ride home with hope. As we came off of the island my cell service connected, bombarding me with messages from family. My aunt had passed away suddenly. In an instant, I was buried in some of the very dynamics I had spent a weekend dissecting.
"I am not the things my family did
I am not the voices in my head
I am not the pieces of the brokenness inside..."
All at once my hope was challenged by a deep and searing grief. It threatened to drown me as I fumbled through the reality of the news, of the interactions, and, eventually, the irony of the opportunity that laid at my feet.
"I'm not the mistakes that I have made
Or any of the things that caused me pain
I am not the pieces of the dream I left behind..."
We are, in each moment, as we are meant to be.
I had this raw, real, honest opportunity to truly start the process of putting this part of me to rest, and put that which had come to me over the weekend to the light.
In that moment, I chose to embrace the grief, to honor the gift of experiencing it. To turn my face to the light, and to learn something about who I was becoming.
Who I am still becoming.
"I am divinity defined
I am the God on the inside
I am a star, a piece of it all
I am light."
Happiness. Joy. Trials. Tribulation. They are the experiences of life that forge who we are, shape our gifts. We are the ones who choose whether they chip away the best or the worst of us.
In January 2016 I attended a Daring Way weekend with a group of amazing ladies. We reflected on the parts of us that need to be buried, put to rest. We reflected on those things that need to be brought up, refined in the light. We considered the duality of these, how they are necessary opposites for our growth and development, and how, in the end, they cannot exist in the same time and space. As we wrapped up the weekend, we meditated on these to this song: I am Light - India Arie
I felt lighter walking out of that space. A new beginning, a shedding of a skin that no longer served me. That is how this walk works, the peeling away of that which hinders our growth, that blocks us from becoming that which serves the greater good.
This shedding is both freeing and painful. Joyful and steeped in grief. Hope for the future juxtaposed with sheer fear of the unknown.
I embarked on the ride home with hope. As we came off of the island my cell service connected, bombarding me with messages from family. My aunt had passed away suddenly. In an instant, I was buried in some of the very dynamics I had spent a weekend dissecting.
"I am not the things my family did
I am not the voices in my head
I am not the pieces of the brokenness inside..."
All at once my hope was challenged by a deep and searing grief. It threatened to drown me as I fumbled through the reality of the news, of the interactions, and, eventually, the irony of the opportunity that laid at my feet.
"I'm not the mistakes that I have made
Or any of the things that caused me pain
I am not the pieces of the dream I left behind..."
We are, in each moment, as we are meant to be.
I had this raw, real, honest opportunity to truly start the process of putting this part of me to rest, and put that which had come to me over the weekend to the light.
In that moment, I chose to embrace the grief, to honor the gift of experiencing it. To turn my face to the light, and to learn something about who I was becoming.
Who I am still becoming.
"I am divinity defined
I am the God on the inside
I am a star, a piece of it all
I am light."
Comments
Post a Comment