You Are My Sunshine...
Last night Jenna did not want to go to sleep. She was stopped up and complaining that her ear was hurting and she was fussing every time we put her to bed. We tried to let her "cry it out" but her cries would get intense, so I finally went in and snuggled her while I rocked her in the rocker.
Jenna doesn't snuggle much these days - as she is in the midst of attempting to assert her independence as only an almost 2 year old can - but last night was an exception. Last night she let me hold her like a baby and asked me to sing You Are My Sunshine. Over and over and over again. Each time I would wind down, she would say, "Do it again, Mommy." And I did.
With gratitude for the miracle she is. With gratitude for that moment, when many others were robbed of the chance of it. I laughed and cried as I sang it and she seemed to know I needed that closeness with her. And after I sang it for what had to have been the 40th time, she sighed, snuggled in, looked up at me and said, "I love you" in her sweet, little muffled voice.
So when she asked me again, I gladly sang it another 10 times.
Jenna doesn't snuggle much these days - as she is in the midst of attempting to assert her independence as only an almost 2 year old can - but last night was an exception. Last night she let me hold her like a baby and asked me to sing You Are My Sunshine. Over and over and over again. Each time I would wind down, she would say, "Do it again, Mommy." And I did.
With gratitude for the miracle she is. With gratitude for that moment, when many others were robbed of the chance of it. I laughed and cried as I sang it and she seemed to know I needed that closeness with her. And after I sang it for what had to have been the 40th time, she sighed, snuggled in, looked up at me and said, "I love you" in her sweet, little muffled voice.
So when she asked me again, I gladly sang it another 10 times.
Comments
Post a Comment