Celebrate Recovery Month!



September is Celebrate Recovery Month! 

This is a celebration of the 23+ million Americans - and 400,000+ South Carolinians - in recovery from substance use disorders and addiction. 

Why is this important to me? 

It's important to me because I owe everything to my recovery. Without it I would be either dead or continuing to live in the absolute hell that my life once was. 

The hell of honestly, deeply, truly not wanting to drink, but doing it anyway. 

The hell of promising the people I loved that I wouldn't do it again, but doing it - in spite of my absolute belief that I wouldn't. 

The hell of resolutely quitting, only to start again, always against my best interests. 

The hell of knowing that taking that first drink won't satisfy an urge, but being so driven by the obsession and delusion that it will that to not take that drink would mean giving way to a totally different kind of madness. 

There were many other substances, but alcohol was my great love - the one that whispered in my ear so lovingly that the lie became the truth. 

None of the outward consequences could come close to the pain and suffering of living in my own skin. I had to drink to live in my skin - and drinking made my skin not fit even more. I know this. I lived it. 

I sit here, over 21 years separated from my last drink, full of gratitude because I AM FREE. 

Freedom had to start somewhere and for me it started with one simple step - I asked for help. 

The most important part was that the help was there. All because others in recovery, and others supportive of recovery, all willing to give time of themselves. 

Recovery is real, it is tangible, and it is possible. It comes in many forms and from many paths. 

But no matter what, it has to start with even a feeble "help".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Word That Can Change Everything

Hello to all!

On becoming...