Hope
Hope
is not believing you can
change
things: hope is believing that
what
we do makes a difference.
Vaclav
Havel
Such a subtle distinction. One
is grounded in an external belief, and the other – grounded in belief,
something deeply internal.
I know there are people who read this who have been severely hurt,
beaten, traumatized by addiction – more specifically by someone who is or has
been active in addiction. It’s a
desperately isolating experience, one that many people suffer alone, or largely
in silence, as much like an iceberg, what can be outwardly seen is only the tip
of it all. Addiction leaves scars. Deep scars.
Not only on those who are in the ripple zone, but also for those who
have been the center of it. I have been
both.
Substance use disorders manifest much like other chronic
disorders. The manifestation is part
genetics, part lifestyle, much of the insidiousness of it happening under the
cloak of the unseen. Outward symptoms
are brushed off as something not patterned, all the while the brain is setting
behavioral priorities deep in the unconscious, so that the reality remains in a
place of blindness, many times both for the person experiencing it, and for
those witnessing it. Like diabetes,
heart disease, asthma, it develops steam, until a crisis brings to the
forefront a reality seemingly unforeseen.
There are a variety of patterns that emerge from this point on,
resulting in a variety of outcomes.
My truth? I have been the stone creating the ripple, having been in
active addiction, and have been in the wake of another’s addiction. I have experienced much direct and vicarious
trauma as a result – things I would never choose to experience of my own
accord. People I love (and loved) deeply
also experienced the trauma – both direct and vicarious – of my addiction,
something I would never have done to them consciously or intentionally. In
fact, the shame of both truths left me locked in the darkness of addiction,
running from the reality of the pain of it all.
At least until nothing – not the substance, not the behavior, not the
other addictions – could black it out anymore.
In the end, they amplified it all, leaving me feeling like it was
completely out of my mind. It is not a
reality I would wish on anyone.
But I am not here to do an autopsy on addiction, mine or anyone
else’s.
I am here to talk about hope. For me, hope came with recovery. I didn’t find recovery because I had hope.
Recovery was a result of complete and utter brokenness. I don’t know why I saw
this truth at the time I did, but in July of 1998, I stood looking at myself in
a mirror, and the whole truth came crashing down on me. As I looked myself in the eyes for the first
time in who knows how long, the weight of reality settled in on me, and so did
a resignation to any belief that the way I was living was in any way working. This realization brought a brief moment of
peace, a welcome respite from the constant barrage of emotion and whirling
thoughts that had come to dominate my brain.
In that moment of peace, my head quieted long enough to allow the
whispers of my heart, which had long wanted something different. I realize now that the years of outbursts of
rage were just that – my heart working to be louder than my head. Of course, this continues to be an ongoing
battle. Staying grounded in my “why”
helps that process stay balanced. In the end, hope came, and remains, in every
person, circumstance, and moment that kept me grounded in doing good, rather
than being good.
Let’s face it, I am obstinate, hard-headed, and have too much
energy. I don’t do good at being
good. But doing good is something I can
wrap my head (and my heart) around. It’s
something I can carry into my daily dealings, even when I am not necessarily acting
the way others would want me to (…reference my statement about being obstinate,
hard-headed and having way too much energy).
In recovery, the experiences that once sent me burrowing in shame now
have purpose. Beyond that, they actually
have meaning. They are not just a memory, an experience,
but also something living, tangible – that someone can grab a hold of, dissect,
and learn from. In the process, it takes
on a new form for me. When brought to light, the memories of my
past not only unlock present truths for others, but they also provide answers
to the current riddles of my life.
The hurt and pain of the past is a binding element to me, something that
is transformational in a new and present moment, no matter how many times I
have been over it in the past. Further,
viewing it through hindsight with others has also given me insight into those
who have been on the journey all along with me.
As I reflect on it, I realize even more deeply how truly miraculous it
is, and continues to be.
But back to this concept of doing good….versus being good…or hope of
change…versus hope of making a difference…
Macro work is hard. Government
work is even harder. It’s a lot of work, and rarely is there an immediate
reward. It’s like turning the Titanic,
but in sands that are constantly shifting due to any number of outward
variables. I’m learning more and more
that it takes patience, a long-view, and tenacity. Only one of those three is a working part of
my skill set, and it can equally be seen as a strength and a deficit. J
As a result, my hope absolutely cannot be grounded in a belief that I
can create change at this level. First,
it’s a moving target (see my statement about trying to turn the Titanic, for
reference). I have waffled back and
forth with understanding this in my time at my current job, and still often
confuse the two intents. I am learning
that my perspective of my work is usually a good indicator of what camp I am
sitting in at any given time. Sometimes
I fall to the delusion that I can change, well…anything. I laugh out loud as I sit here, as I wrote
this last statement. The irony of having
said and prayed the Serenity Prayer thousands of times in my lifetime, and I
sometimes (ok…many times) still live with the delusion that I can change anything. That belief externalizes my locus of control,
making the change the agent rather than me the change agent. One is grounded in an external expectation
and reward, and the other, an internal drive.
Hope, as
a driving force, is also subject to the shifting sands of time and circumstance. Hope as a byproduct of a personal truth, a
belief? That is unshakable.
I am not the same person I was when I was in active addiction. I am also not the person who existed before
addiction took me. I am beyond anything
I could have ever been had addiction not been manifested in my life. So, yes, I have been locked in the darkness
of shame, remorse, pain…and I brought others into this space along the
way. As I grow and change, I better
understand the true magnitude of these experiences, on me and on others.
A gift of this journey is that more deeply understanding this truth
allows for deeper compassion for both people in the darkness of addiction, and
for the loved ones who are in the ripple zone along with them. It also lends to a greater desire to work daily
to removing the deeply ingrained barriers that reinforce the shame and stigma
of both addiction and recovery, for both the individuals affected, their loved
ones, and their communities. I pray that
one day we see more and more of these barriers removed, but am realistic that
this happens in a two steps forward, one step back fashion. As a result, as I work at a systems level,
one powerful truth is consistently reinforced: the very essence of recovery is found on a personal, not a systems
level. The power of recovery is found
one-on-one, whether that be one person to one person, one family to one family,
or one community to one community. As a
result, my experience makes a difference, in the very fact that transformation
is a real and tangible experience in my life, and sharing this with others can
be transformative for them. Even more
amazingly, this sharing continues to drive transformation in my life.
That day in July 1998, when I found myself looking at myself in the
eye, the weight of crushing defeat gave way to a glimmer of something I did not
then recognize. Looking back, it was a
catalyst moment, an experience I still feel as though I am standing there, as I
write these words. Standing there,
accurately surveying the reality of my life and self, what I experienced was a
glimmer of belief that there had to be something better. And when I reached out to find something to
confirm this for me, I found it, in another who had been there, too.
As a result, my hope is not grounded in the belief that I can change
anyone or anything. One of the crushing
realities of recovery, and of life in general, is that I have no power in this
realm. However, when I view my world
through hindsight, there emerges a stark contrast of what I thought my
experiences were in the moment they occurred, and what they are to me today. As
my experiences change shape and meaning, freedom from what was emerges. As
such, something that once caused me deep pain and shame, now transformed,
offers hope. That hope may never have the power to change
one thing. But each experience of
transformation can create a spark of hope in another, which then serves as the
start of another ripple. These sparks of
hope, individually and collectively, make a tangible difference – one person, one family, one community at a
time.

I love you. I have always loved you...love knows no bounds. I, and many more, will ALWAYS be there with you and for you. So very proud of you...what a blessing you are and have always been to so many! Sally
ReplyDelete