Shout out to the love of my life...

As we prepare to embark on this new phase of life - meaning starting a four person family vs. a 3 person family - it's only natural that I reflect back to life before all of this.

It started the other day.  JP has hijacked the FM transmitter from my car, so I'm back to listening to CDs when not listening to my new favorite radio stations (Air 1 and the Palm).  The other day I dusted off an old Gov't Mule CD and popped it in.  As I drove along, listening to a live track they did with Bela Fleck, it occurred to me that this exact CD is one link in a of chain of events that led to JP and I dating.

It was just past the turn of the new year in 2007.  Laura and I were still roommates, living in the old house off of Nursery Road (if you were around then, you know exactly what house I am talking about).  Laura was dating someone who was set to be coming into town to see her.  Only his car had broken down and he had JP dropping him off on his way through to Anderson.  Laura was in the shower when her phone started ringing.  She asked me to get it, and it was her guy, calling to say that JP was in a rush and needed to drop him at the exit.  Could I come and meet them really quick? I yelled to Laura, let her know I was going to run up and pick him up.

In the car, I was listening to this exact CD.  I had just bought it and was absolutely obsessed with it.  I was still smoking back then, and had a regular habit of spraying a cheap $2 green tea spray on as I was getting out of the car so I wouldn't smell like an ashtray.  Honestly, the green tea spray really is the star of this story, and it wasn't until the other day that I really remembered the fact that Gov't Mule played a part.  I got out of the car, said hey to Laura's guy, and, as he put his stuff on my car, I gave JP a hug.  JP said something to the effect that he had just gotten that CD, too, and loved it.  We talked about it for a minute, then he said he had to get on the road because he had to be to Anderson on time.  We said goodbye and he went on his way.

Hmmmm.  I guess I should tell the rest of the story.  At this point I did not take JP very seriously (just being honest).  He was young and had a reputation of bouncing around between women.  I drove away that night and didn't think anything of it.  About an hour later, he texted his friend to ask what perfume I had been wearing.  He then said that it was almost supernatural, that he could still smell it like I was there.  I'm not sure why, but just him saying that to his friend planted a seed in my head.  Over the next day or two, I burned some other music I liked, thinking I would share it with him, and passed it along to him through Laura's guy. He messaged me on My Space (oh yeah, that's right, My Space) to say thank you and next thing you know, we are dating.

Hmmmm. I guess I'll tell the part in between when we officially started dating.  So...he messaged me on My Space, and we sent a few messages back and forth.  Then I texted or called him (I can't remember which) but he accidentally deleted my number and spent the next 10 minutes frantically trying to get my number from someone to get back in touch with me (of course I didn't know this until later) and then called back, being all calm, saying, "Is this Julie? I wasn't sure who the number belonged to."  Hahahahahaha!  Sorry if you don't see the humor.  I think it's hilarious, but of course, it's my story. :)  As people who have crushes do, we texted back and forth, called through out the day, stalked and messaged each other on My Space, and the like.  The next Saturday morning he was heading back to Anderson - turns out he was helping take care of his step dad, who had just had major surgery, while his mom wad working on the weekend - so he stopped in on the way and I cooked him breakfast.  He told me about how it took 3 days to stop smelling the green tea spray after I hugged him and neglected to tell me that he was highly allergic to my fat ass 20 pound cat. He said he had to race to Anderson to be with Dan, but it turns out he was trying to play it cool and not let me see his Hitch-like allergic reaction to my cat (supposedly he was itching, swollen and hacking for the rest of the day - and the impression of it still makes me laugh out loud).  He came back through the next night, allergy medicine on board, and I cooked dinner and we watched Akeelah and the Bee (yup...no shame...it was a sweet movie).  That was January 28, 2007.  And we haven't looked back since.  Ok...there was a little break up from July to October 2007, but that was an essential part of our growth together, and we somehow couldn't even really be apart while broken up.

So fast forward to the other day.  Gov't Mule.  Windows down, singing along.  Remembering the day that started our days together.  My how time has changed.  I loved those days.  But I really love these days (save for the being huge pregnant part).  I love us, our family, what we are growing together.  But I love us, first and foremost.

Tonight I was spacing out, watching You Tube videos, and I came across the video below.  The first time I heard it I thought of JP and I.  I remembered when we fully reconciled from our break up.  This was us then. This is us now.

Babe - thanks for being an amazing partner.  I can't remember life before you were in it, and I don't even want to think about what it would be like if you were gone.  You are my rock.  My love.  The man of my dreams, today and everyday.  The fact that you are such a nurturing and loving father is just icing on the cake.  Thank you for making all of my dreams come true.
Which reminds me...I'll have to tell you at some point about the time I discovered JP's secret JT man crush...:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Word That Can Change Everything

Hello to all!

On becoming...